Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Brendan's Birth Story

7/28/2007. It was so hot on this day. My dad and Eric had been re-doing the upstairs bedroom all morning and my dad came downstairs and told me that he was going to go home and shower and then we were all going to go walk on Market Street where there was an Arts Festival. I had been having some tightenings all morning, but nothing serious, so I knew that getting out and walking would be good for me. While walking, I had some surges that made me stop and breathe. I can't imagine the looks I was getting from people! We managed to walk the couple of blocks down and back and with the combination of the heat and the surges, I wanted to go home and get in some air conditioning! After we got home, the surges went away. What? Ugh...All I really wanted to do was snuggle with Taigan. About 5 minutes into snuggling, I asked him if he wanted "Nini" (to nurse). He had weaned about 2 months before then, so I almost figured that he wouldn't want to, but he jumped on it. He nursed for about a half hour and fell asleep. A couple of hours later, I was sitting at the computer showing my mom some pictures, and my dad and husband were making sausauge and peppers for dinner. I had a surge. It was strong enough that I knew I was going to be holding my baby soon, but not strong enough that I needed to let on to my secret. I glanced at the clock. About 6 minutes later, another one. Ok, I thought, maybe I should tell someone, no no, just wait! My mom got up to help them men, and another one. I had no idea how much time had happened between those 2, but I got up and told everyone that I was going to get in the shower and that this was it. While in the shower, I had many surges. Very close together. This was happening and it was happening fast! I made it out of the shower and on to my bed and it felt like it took forever to get there because I had to pause so much due to the surges. I called Deb, my midwife, and told her that we were getting around and heading into the hospital. My dad stayed behind with Taigan, and my mom, Eric and I got in the car and left. The 30 minute drive to the hospital felt like one big surge. I don't remember getting a break. At the hospital, Deb met us in the hallway and I wanted to walk. I would take a couple of steps and then turn and lean on and dance with the wall. We finally made it into the room, and Deb checked my cervix to see how open it was. 8cm!! Wow! That was fast! I wanted to get in the tub, so we started the water. Once in the water, I got a little break and was able to relax for a bit. Deb was also able to relax a bit after having been there all night and day, she took a little snooze while doing paperwork. My position of choice at that moment was on my knees leaning foward on the tub. And it was time to breathe my boy down. I felt my body pushing. I told Deb that I was pushing and she told me that she needed me to either sit back or get out because she couldn't get to the baby in the postition I was in. (I am not sure if I just didn't want to fight or if I didn't know any better at that moment, but I agreed). I decided to get out of the water. Once on the bed, I became scared. The surges were intense and I was scared. I don't know what I was scared of, but I needed to be reminded to breathe. The intensity of it all made me forget HypnoBirthing and breathing and I just wanted to tense up and scream. I was fighting with my body and not releasing to let it push. And then I heard Deb's voice (also a HypnoBirthing Childbirth Educator). She told me to take some deep cleansing breaths and to let my body to its thing. At 10:58pm, Brendan Michael made his appearance. Only about 3 1/2 hours after the surge at the computer. He was perfect!

Looking back and knowing what I know now, I would have just stayed in the water and had my baby in the postition I was in. Deb is amazing and I know that she was just trying to help, but I wished I would have spoke up and said no. This labor and birth was fast and furious. He came flying into this world with intent and boy does he live up to his birth. He is clever, and witty, and always the center of attention, funny and has the best imagination.

No comments: