Thursday, August 20, 2009

Do dreams really come true?

When I was pregnant with Taigan, finding cute, affordable maternity clothes was a huge challenge. They are SUPER expensive. You only wear them for maybe 6 months, and if you are lucky, you can re-wear them for other pregnancies. It became a dream of mine to open my own maternity clothing store. I wanted to have affordable clothes for all sized women. Mom and I were going to do it together. I met with the small business association, the local radio stations for advertising, started talking to different wholesale companies, and even started looking for a store to rent. Then...Dad have another heart attack. The store went on hold physically, but not mentally. It has been something I have continued to think about often, especially when I hear someone say that there is NO WHERE around this little area to get maternity clothes.

I have learned a lot through my own pregnancies and labor. I have learned that I have a huge passion for it all. Pregnancy, labor, and breastfeeding. I want to be involved, somehow. During my pregnancies, I studied hypnobirthing. This is the form of relaxation I used during labor, my "pain meds", if you will. I had 3 absolutely beautiful births. No drugs, no machines attached to me, total relaxation. I love giving birth. I think that all women should have the opportunity to have births like that. I know that some are not able to for medical reasons. I think that some women are not told that birth can be like mine were. I think that most doctors just tell women that an epidural is needed and they can get it as soon as they get to the hospital. Now, I have some friends who have done it both ways, and loved the epidural birth. I am not saying that the way I did it is the right way. What I am saying is that I don't think that some women know that there are other options out there.

I have also become passionate about cloth diapering. I think that, especially in this area, people don't know that this is such a do-able option. We are educated by all the Huggies and Pampers commercials, and go into it thinking that disposables are the only way to go. Thanks to the Internet, I learned that cloth diapers are not what they used to be, and they are actually very easy and have many other benefits.

Another thing that I have started getting into is called "babywearing". Babywearing is the practice of wearing or carrying a baby or child in a sling, wrap or other form of carrier.


This is me "wearing" Brendan. There is nowhere in this area where you can by good wrap or slings.

So, this brings my back to my dream. I want to own a store that sells inexpensive first and second-hand maternity clothes, cloth diapers, and babywearing articles. I want to become certified as a Hypnobirthing Practitioner, and upstairs from the store, conduct hypnobirthing classes, cloth diapers parties and babywearing classes. I would also invite people there for other learning opportunities.

The reason I ask if dreams really do come true is because I don't see this happening. Why does everything revolve around money? Why wasn't I born rich, instead of, well, nice. haha. I can't win the lottery if I don't play. And I don't play because I don't want to waste my money! One can dream, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you can conceive it, you can achieve it. (this doesnt' mean the babies...it means a DREAM!)
NEVER,NEVER, NEVER give up on your dream. God put one in each of us and yours is a passion! That's what it takes.
Speak what you want...not what you don't want or haver!!
love you