Thursday, June 11, 2009

My First Blog

Ok, so I did it. I started a blog. I guess I am doing this for all the people that I do not talk to on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. We all know that kids do things that are worth sharing, and I guess I feel that I need to share. Not to mention the fact that my conversations all day long include words like "I don't know, Taigan, let's look it up," or "One Fish, Two Fish," or "Brendan, where are yours eyes?". This is a way for me to journal and write down my thoughts.

Where to start...I have trying to think of ways to be mo
re "green" lately and in the process come up with lots of new ideas. The first and probably most exciting to me is that we are transitioning to cloth diapers. I know what you are thinking...but they are not like they were in the old days. Here is a picture of one that I bought and am waiting for; . The only problem that I can see myself having with them, it that I think it will be addicting and will want to buy lots. I am going to have to put a limit on myself because they can get super expensive. They are going to save us SO much money in the long run. This is what I figured:
Evan will be in disposable for maybe another 2.5 years. If he go through an average of 8 diapers a day for 2.5 years it will cost us about $1500 and is that using cheap diapers. Brendan is still not potty trained and will probably be in diapers for at least another 6 months, which is about $350 or more. Those are just estimates, and they are low. Cloth diapers are a one time price of about $500, for a savings of about $1350! That is a lot of money! I am sure I will keep you posted on how it goes!!

Another thing I did was make my own laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent. For the laundry I used a half a bar of Ivory soap and a cup of Baking soda in a gallon of w
ater. It needs to be revamped a bit because I have 2 very messy eaters, but I will just add Borax to the mix. A gallon is going to be costing me less than $1 and has about 16 loads! For the dishwasher detergent, I mixed 1 cup of Borax with 1 cup of baking soda. Also, about 16 loads and costs less than$1. I run vinegar through the rinse cycles to help kill germs and get smells out. It really works well!

Less chemicals, and less money = healthy kids and fatter wallets!
!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bethy

OK - so your green! I get that but cloth diapers! More power to you, I really hope it goes well. I personally COULD NEVER! you knew that!
However I am interested in learning more about making my own detergents. Where did you get this info? how will your kids be healthier?

Love
Heather

Aunt Cindy said...

Now...I can leave a comment. I know how to do this one!
LOVED reading your blog and can't wait to read more!
Good luck with your "green"!! You're amazing!
Love and miss you all...Aunt Cindy

Anonymous said...

I tried your potion! The Washing Machine soap was umm an adventure. I only had a blender to mix it in and it was not strong enough. I added water - IT FORMED A PASTE, before I knew it Joey and I were playing in soap! The all purpose cleaner was great and Joey was able to help me wipe it up! He really like the lemon after. Chris saw my cretaions and had to check out what I was doing. He let Borax soak in the coffee pot (it was so dirty - I should not even be telling you about it) it was as good as knew when he poured it out! I really had great luck with the product free products! Thanks for enlightening me.